Monday, June 8, 2009

One week until Kenya

I am sitting at home amazed that in one week I will be boarding a plane for Kenya. It is so amazing to look back at how this started as a tug on my heart, and now here I am packing my bags and taking care of last-minute details. There was a time when I did not think I could raise the money, get things together, and see this happen. I couldn't, but God has really shown up and amazed me yet again. The worst of it is over-I got my shots. Oh how I hate needles. I have also been gathering some clothing, mostly warm, because it is actually winter in Kenya right now. That is probably the thing i expected least! I have my itinerary, passport, insurance all together. I have had the wonderful opportunity to sit and talk with my family and share my heart with them. I have been able to visit friends and spend late summer nights with the boy I love. It has been a great couple of weeks as I have been preparing and try to seize every moment of life!
Last week, I had the opportunity to meet up with Jane, the founder of the orphange and also Kristine, a Kenyan women who serves as the administrator. My mom and I along with Sara and her mom were able to meet up with these ladies for lunch and hear all about Into Abbas Arms and some things that will probably shape our summer. I had to try so hard to hold back the tears as I heard stories of the children and their personalities. I heard about the other ministries IAA has such as giving out clean water to the community once a week and looking towards providing some better schooling for young kids of the orphange and community. As far as expectations, I have tried to keep them at a minimum. I truly want to embrace each day and experience what God has for me. I believe He placed this on my heart to continue shaping me and the way I live the rest of my life. I expect to fall in love with those children and their precious hearts such as these: Ruth and Jacob
I expect to miss summer a little. I expect to have days when I just can't stand being away from Nate and others. I expect to see gorgeous sights and know that God's hand is the reason for creation everywhere. I expect to love as much as possible even when it is difficult. I expect to be blown away by God's never-ending grace and commitment to me. I guess those are quite a few expectations, but I'm trying!
I wish there was a practical way to really show my appreciation for all the support I have received. Yeah I have sent thank-you letters and shared hugs. Yeah I have tried to keep others updated on what is going on, but I can't emphasize the beauty of other people as much as I would like to. I have had support and prayers from all over, and I know it will never cease. I have a wonderful family and friends who help me to stand tall and pursue dreams and callings. There is such beauty in the body of believers, and I have been reminded that very strongly lately.
This week, I continue to pack, take care of things that need done for the summer, and pray for God's guiding hand in every step that I take. One week...wow.

1 comment:

kelley said...

wow chelsea, this is so unbelievably awesome. i'll be keeping you in my prayers!