Saturday, June 27, 2009

Another update :)

Hello again from Kenya :)
Things are really wonderful here, and today has been the most beautiful day! I can’t even convey how wonderful it is to sit in the sun with the kids, feel the breeze, hear the animals and no other distracting sounds, see the mountainside in the distance under the mountains and just praise God for His beautiful creation!

I have been learning many new things, which makes me excited.
1. I learned how to milk a cow (without a machine). This is not to say I am good, strong, or quick, but I know how.
2. I have learned to plow a field by hand. Again, this doesn’t mean I am very good, but I know how to put that hand tool in the ground until my fingers are blistered!
3. I learned to deal with the driving. I am actually doing alright and not closing my eyes and thinking “oh no!” in my head at all times. I have learned to watch the wonderful scenery and appreciate not having a radio in the van.
4. I have learned that God’s mercy and peace are new everyday. There have been times I have woken up very homesick, but God has given me days full of so much fun and His strength and I am always reminded of His divine appointment of me here at this time.

I have learned much more from just sitting and talking with the women, and helping the kids with homework at night. I have visited the open market in Naivasha as well as the store. At the market, we were definitely stand-outs and I was asked by an older man if I was married. I said yes…. Whoops.

I have really been learning about prayer and trusting in God. Everyday I have been praying for my family and friends, and for the wonderful community I have become apart of here. I have really enjoyed helping with the daily duties and seeing how people work together for a common good without so much of the things we have back home. At one time I thought these people just needed the conveniences we have in America. Now I think in America we need to step back and see the simplicity of life and joy as these villages know it. I have been reading a prayer book from Desmond Tutu and he talks about all the different nations and how no one is better or superior to the other, but we all have so much to give and can learn from one another. I pray my time here allows me to learn much that I can bring home and bless others with.

Thank you to everyone praying for me and supporting me, that is what gets me through the days. Keep praying!

No comments: