Thursday, July 30, 2009

Well it has been awhile since I have updated…and I can say that so much has happened in my life in Africa!

I sit and think that I only have 3 more days here and it is so crazy. It is truly bittersweet. Everytime I look into the eyes of any of these beautiful children I pray to God that I have a chance to come back and see them grow.

A couple of weeks ago I spent a few days in Nairobi with some people. We were able to visit a couple other orphanages, a school in a desperate village, and the Kibera slums which is the largest slum in Kenya. There was so much to process from that time. It was nice to see some other programs that are reaching out to give hope to people. At one of the orphanages, they were celebrating getting their first car-and all 15 or 20 kids were so excited, piling into the back and looking it over. That one old car was such a blessing to that place. We met a girl from Canada who was volunteering there for the summer and it was amazing to hear about the fundraising and support she is raising for the orphanage. She has an excellent heart of giving to others and it is so neat to network with people who want to do something great to change the world. While in Nairobi we also spent time with a woman who was visiting for a conference. She does a counseling ministry in Zimbabwe so it was neat to hear her heart and how God has been moving in her life.

Going to Kibera was quite an experience. Words can’t capture the stench of urine and trash everywhere and the many many people crammed into small houses and a small area. Today we went to an IDP (Internally Displaced Persons) camp and the situation was similar. The really heartbreaking thing at the IDP was that these people have no control of their situations. They lost their homes and what they had during a time of rioting and violence, and they have been given no way out. Corruption rules the camp as many donations will be taken over by the heads of the camp and used for personal benefit and the people have not found a way to overcome those leaders because of the force they have built up. Therefore, these people are forced to live in 10x10 shacks. I went in one today and I just can’t grasp how that is a way of life. It doesn’t seem right in any way. Coincidentely as I was so upset about the corruption here today, I read in my bible a chapter about obeying the leaders of the land because God has placed them there. It is really challenging for me to think that God has placed such corruption and I am battling in my mind what that really means for these people. There are 4 thousand people on 3 acres of land. Can you imagine living so close to so many people? In the house I visited, a man was pointing out all the different parts of the house. I saw a little fire in the middle of the floor, a few shelves, and boards on the ground with some coats and blankets which served as beds. Why, God, why must people live in such awful conditions? It is really challenging to face and I feel as though I can not provide much help. I am glad that I will be able to donate some towards getting blankets for every family, but they need so much more. As we were leaving, there was a worship service going on. The people here love God so outwardly and it really takes me back to look at their situation and then look at their joy and praise. It doesn’t really make sense, but it shows how God has called us to turn to His faithfulness above anything else.

Over the past week and a half, we have taken in 6 new children. Joy is about 5 or 6 months and she lives in the room with Sara and I. She is precious and has big eyes and an adorable smile. It will be hard to hand her over to someone else’s care. Milka is about 3 years old and so so cute. She was taken from her home where her mother is dying of Aids and was unable to take care of her children. The neighbors said Milka was often found digging through the village garbage for any food. I love her so much. She was afraid of me, and any other white person, the first day, but since then she has ran into my arms, and gives me lots and lots of kisses. She also has a laugh and smile that just melts me! Hope is about 2-3 weeks old. She is 6 lbs and so tiny but she has a full head of black hair. Oh my goodness she is so precious. I look at her and I just can’t fathom how someone can abandon a beautiful child. All the kids here have such heartbreaking stories…and it doesn’t seem quite right. Hope came with the name Faith, but since we already have a girl named Faith we decided to change it so now we have Faith, Hope, and Joy J It just makes sense JWe have taken in 3 others from the Nairobi Rescue Center. Lucy is probably 5 years old and she has a very strong personality. She takes a lot of patience from me because she likes to be defiant and mock me all the time. We have learned a little about her past and think she came from an abusive home, so I really enjoy just hugging her and kissing her forhead, even when my stress levels are skyrocketing! Peter is 4 and he picked us. When we first went to the Nairobi home, he really took to Sara and I and we kept saying we had to go back and get him. He is so cute and he has a wonderful smile and he can’t remember my name so he just calls me “Howareyou” which is the phrase they relate to white people. Haha. Richard is our other new boy and he is probably 5 or 6. ( I say probably because since they are abandoned, we don’t really know how old they are so we go by the estimates that were given when they were rescued, and our own estimate). Richard is a very sweet and quiet boy and I think he is going to be really smart.
These are 6 more reasons it will be hard to leave this place.

I have really enjoyed the staff here as well. I’ve learned how to mash potatoes with a huge wooden spoon, I have bagged potatoes and learned more about gardening, and I have watched the men build a new animal barn. There is one woman, Jane, who will be so hard to leave. I have been able to cook with her, watch the kids with her, and just talk so much with her. She is a woman who can do anything and I love her ambition. She is so inspiring and when she told me she doesn’t know what she will do without me, I almost cried.

God has been so good to me through this whole experience. I really feel closer to Him in prayer and in just a relationship with a best friend that He is. I have had my challenging days, but I have always came through with joy and a purpose for everything. I have been challenged this summer to really give my all everyday. Especially when it comes to my calling to counseling, I want to be the best I can so I can give the best to those in need. I have been challenged in thinking about my future. It is kind of exciting, though, to just say “Ok God-here I am and I have no idea what’s next so you have to take me!” And I am excited to see where life goes.
I miss you friends! I am excited to hear about everyone’s summers and just share experiences together. I am also really excited to show off my 1000 pictures and let you see the faces of these wonderful people and the scenes of this beautiful place that has been my home and community. I will always carry apart of Kenya with me and it is such a huge part of my life story. For that, I am so grateful. See you soon America!