Thursday, July 9, 2009

The beauty of Simplicity

It is another beautiful day in Africa! I am halfway done with my time here and it is such a bittersweet thing. One part of me can’t imagine leaving here. I can’t imagine waking up to anything but the yells of the kids, the cows, and the awful bird we hear every morning. I can’t imagine not doing homework after school and just being away from this place that has taken me in and made me feel like such a part of a big family! On the other hand, I can’t wait to get back and see my family, friends, and Nate and share a summer of experiences.

Today I am just amazed at how beautiful children are. This morning I was holding and feeding baby Jacob, and I believe God made us all so perfectly. He just fits right in my arms and is so snug-I just love it! As I was playing with the younger ones this afternoon, I just feel God’s warmth through their precious smiles, hugs, kisses, and laughter. It is a very beautiful thing.

Tuesday we were able to go with a man from the church and visit 4 primary schools. It’s very strange to step out a van and be swarmed by children just wanted to say Hi and shake your hand. I am having a bit of a difficult time dealing with that kind of attention because it really seems that Kenyans believe the white American has it all and has it all together, and that’s not true. I try to wave and smile as much as possible in hopes that they will see I am just a child of God like everyone else. In one of the schools, a teacher asked his students- How many of you would like to be able to visit America someday? Every hand went up, and then he told them, Work hard and maybe you can. Then he turned to us and said- America is a dreamland for us. I had to walk out of the room because that just humbled me to the point of tears. I’m not sure how to feel about it and I’m really processing some things in regards to situations such as that one.
The schools was a humbling thing altogether. Many students had no shoes, the floors were all dirt, they had to copy their homework from the board for every problem, and there is no lunch offered. Some can afford to bring their own, some can’t. The things we take for granted….Students compete to get into high school and college and they work so so hard. I can’t believe it all.

Some pretty exciting news- I got to see monkeys just swinging in trees the other day! It was when we went to pick up the older kids from school and our van had to be the school bus for the day and take other kids home because the bus was broken down. So we were there waiting with the kids, and it was really fun because they showed us their classroom, some dances, and introduced us to their friends…we got tons of pictures! While we were there the boys spotted some monkeys so we ran down the road to watch them! It was really neat to see them just in their natural habitat. I’m not sure if I will go on a safari or to a park of any kind while I am here, but I like just seeing the animals doing their everyday life!

There are so many things I’ve learned so far and I know the next 3 ½ weeks will be packed with fun and even more learning. I’ve really learned to appreciate hard work because these people work so hard everyday and they thank God that they have the health and work to do so! I want to always appreciate what I have and work hard for things. I have learned a lot about parenting and I think this summer will make me a better mother and wife! I’m really thankful for how God has allowed me to experience that. I’ve learned so much about prayer as I have been praying for so many people daily and have found the time to pray…which is something that is such a challenge back home.
I am looking forward to the opportunity to visit more places and see more things and interact with more people and just witness God’s beauty in so many different ways. Everytime I look out at the mountains here, I am just taken back. There is a quote above the computer that says, “Faith beings where mans power ends.” I have seen over and over that my power is very limited, and to have faith is to have so much. The renewal of my spirit is something that has been needed for me, and I thank God for his gentle reminders of how much I need him.

As I continue on today and with the rest of my journey here, I’m thankful for every day and every experience and I can’t wait to share more when I get home. Please continue to pray that God’s hand will be over this place and continually working in this wonderful land and also for his protection and blessings back home. That has to be the hardest part being away from home, but I am daily trusting that God hears my hearts desires to be back with my family and friends soon, and His provisions are beyond adequate. Thank you!

3 comments:

joshwood said...

Your trip sounds so amazing!! I'm so glad that you are enjoying yourself, and learning in the process.

kelley said...

chelsea, your trip sounds absolutely amazing and is seriously inspiring me so much. through everything you've written so far i can tell how much God is working in you and that is just such an amazing thing, something i definitely hope i can experience some time in my life. as feeble as my prayers are, i'll definitely be keeping you in them and can't wait to hear more of your journey...i hope sometime we can talk about it in person! much love and blessings to all that stands before you throughout your time there...and beyond that, of course :)

Brian Miller said...

neat.