Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I'm A Sucker This Summer For A....

With the conclusion of summer, I've been thinking about the things that have made this "endless summer" what it has been. It has been the first few months being graduated, so many new experiences, and a whirlwind of emotion. I wouldn't have had it any other way really. I decided instead of making a list of things I "like" I would make a list of the things I am a sucker for (thank you, Copeland for inspiration-(I'm a sucker for a Kind word))... so here it goes.

I'm a sucker for hip hop.
-No matter how hard I've tried to kick this obsession, I've been "feeling like a star, can't stop my shine." I find myself daily awaiting the playing of summer favorites including: Riding Solo, Teach me how to Dougie, Your Love, Airplanes, and most importantly- Pretty Boy Swag. I must admit that I've also fallen victim to a couple of pop songs including Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" and Miranda Cosgrove's "When I'm Kissing You." There is just something about feeling girly sometimes... Which leads to my next point

I'm a sucker for letting out my inner child
-Not only have I been belting teeny-bopper songs, I have spent time watching ICarly, Big Time Rush, Jonas LA, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It all started because I was a nanny and, of course, spending a majority of my time with children... but now I have been guilty of watching these shows on my own time, by my own choice, and enjoying it thoroughly.
-I have been getting the greatest joy out of swinging. I can't think of anything I'd rather do on a sunny afternoon than enjoy a swingset under a tree. Some of my swinging highlights this summer include: Swinging after a long run, with my ipod in and going as high as I could. Swinging at Park of Roses with Sam and Olivia. Going to the Centerburg park and swinging underneath the huge tree there... dreaming of bringing my husband there one day just because it's part of my childhood.

I'm a sucker for language
-I think we spend too much time worrying about what words are "good" and "bad." I think words carry the ability to portray a lot, and we sometimes miss it in the jumble. I enjoy learning new words from people, and hearing phrases and habits they possess. There is beauty in words, but it is often hidden.

I'm a sucker for drinks
-From bubble tea from Poochi or ZenCha (MOMO2?) to a wonderful wine at a great friends wedding (Chenin Blanc... thanks Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs :) ) to a green tea frap, the point is when I splurge, it's usually on a good drink.

I'm a sucker for plaid
-Just like I told a friend a couple weeks ago... all guys just look better in plaid! (Take note that he asked to then go shopping for plaid shirts) I'm getting excited about the changing weather, and the opportunity to wear plaid myself.

I'm a sucker for adventure
-Who would have thought I'd have the strongest desire to ride a motorcycle... and then absolutely love it when I get to ride? I just want to live an adventure.

I'm a sucker for longing for more
-I have found this in all my relationships... I always want more- more depth, more time, more memories. I have seen this in my walk with the Lord the past few months. Though some seasons have been stronger than others, there has been a longing in me to tap into the greatness of God. I was really challenged early this summer with how much I take for granted when it comes to loving the Lord. I have learned to expect more from God. By that I mean I believe He can come to us, answer prayers, and be as real as we allow Him to be. Thank God He is so much bigger than the ways I often limit Him.

I'm a sucker for having my windows down
-For real, I can't think of anything better than driving with the windows down and music turned up. I have gone many days without having to dry or style my hair because I just let the wind dry it while I'm driving. I have also had a few opportunities to sing to the car next to me at a stop light without being aware of it...

I'm a sucker for culture
-I am fascinated by how much diversity exists in our world... and even just in Columbus. This summer I got to explore culture though a few dance lessons, conversations, and just interactions with new friends. This may be why I'm so driven to travel and experience the world. Gosh, I just want to soak it up.

I'm a sucker for atmosphere
-Put me in a fun atmosphere and I'm content. Some of my favorite summer atmospheres include: Bodega, the Iuka House, Travonna, High St. in general. This also includes the outdoors I have loved so much this summer- sunrises, long runs, woods with animals, jumping on a trampoline. The outdoors are really wonderful.

I'm a sucker for time to myself
-This is a new one in my life. I can't remember ever enjoying alone time like I have this summer. It has been really refreshing actually. I have cried by myself, laughed out loud to myself, and done things that I used to think were never to be done alone: ie going out to dinner, browsing the shops on high st , going to church.

I'm a sucker for Sundays
-This is a loaded one. First of all, I'm a sucker for Vineyard Columbus. To be honest, I didn't really like VC when I first went last year. The more I am there, though, the more I want to be there as much as possible. I seriously hate missing service. I love the things that are happening in the community and around the world. I also love worshiping in such a diverse group of believers... it's amazing how a common bond in Jesus can bring together so many souls.
-Sundays have had a wonderful routine this summer: Church, Starbucks, Joshua House, Chipotle. I look forward to this routine all week long. Mainly because it always turns out fun, I love seeing people, and even with the best of intentions... I never get through my to do list at Starbucks... mainly because of the next point-

I'm a sucker for conversations with strangers
-I straight up THRIVE on this. Usually I meet someone new in Starbucks, thus not getting my journaling or reading done. I believe, though, conversations are worth it :) I love meeting new people and hearing their stories... from the man I met who is a financial planner for Vyard, to the man who runs an exotic animal educational program, to friends of friends from Joshua House... there is always a story to share. I also have loved meeting people at Iuka and other parties... It is so fun to be surrounded by passionate people who are going against the norm to live out their lives. That inspiration is irreplacable. Then there's meeting people while watching the OSU football game... How about that, Olivia... and she has to remind me that not everyone is looking for just a friendly conversation. I can be naive sometimes... which leads me to my last and favorite point

I'm a sucker for incredible friends
-My summer has been what it is because I have been able to share it with people I love doing life with. I love still being so close to Kelly, my high school best friend that has carried on through the years. Just tonight, even, we attempted P90x yoga... and we were partially successful but sometimes our laughter just broke the calm mood... we probably burned more calories that way anyways, though. I have spent countless hours sharing life with Olivia and Sam. I really can't compare the fun we've had to anything else. I have also been able to make a lot of new friendships and grow in some that I didn't even expect.
-Best friends always know what to say, even if it's just "What the hell?!" And I really love that.
-It's great to be able to share your dumbest thoughts
-It's great to have support when you do something that was probably stupid...
-It's great to have support when you do something really wonderful
-It's great to look at one another and not have to say a word... but just bust out laughing

No comments: